Thursday, August 4, 2011

Camping starts with C

B spend last weekend camping with his Grandparents...in an air conditioned RV, because it is way to HOT to be in a tent. He had a blast! So this week we're expanding that experience to learn more about camping and the letter C. First here are a few shots from his camping trip.


He's leveling his trike.


Doesn't he looks so proud. ;)


Cooling off in the pool.


On a hike with Papa.


We I made a camping lap book. The first I've ever made, so it was a learning experience. I've seen these done in other blogs (can't remember where, right now, there are tons of blogs on this); but this week it seem like a good option for us. These help focus on colors, counting, letter recognition, reading, matching, spelling and other general interest for the topic.



Here are some of the sleeping bags that were inside the tent.



Fishing for the letter 'C' - He had fun catching the letter 'C', but I think he liked catching the other letters and telling me "that's an 'X' (or what ever letter it was), not a 'C'".

One of his learning trays this week was building a forest with playdoh and pre-made images. I drew trees, flowers, rivers, animals on card stock & then attached them to tongue depressors...super easy, right. Throw in the playdoh, and he spend 20-30 minutes creating forest.



Another learning tray activity, was helping the animals find their homes. Again this was super simple. I drew a tree, cave & burrow on card stock and taped each of them to a seperate container. I also drew animals that would live in each of the homes.  He wasn't as interested in this activity; I'll have to rethink it and try it with another unit.


We did focus on the letter 'C' more than it sounds like, but most of that wasn't picture worthy. I was surprised to learn that B was able to tell me many things that started with 'C', just by the phonetics. I think Mommy may have a little jumping ahead in some areas, she wasn't quiet expecting yet. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment