Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas cookies

One thing our family loves about the Christmas holiday is all the yummy desserts. :)  While we all opt for the more chocolaty of these, we can't forget how much fun it is to make Christmas cookies. Even fake ones, yes I said fake cookies. I hadn't quiet got all the ingredients to do our baking, but when I pulled out the cookie cutters B was so intrigued with all the different ones. He was having fun just playing with them. That's when I decided, we could make fake ones out of the things I had on hand.

I traced the cookie cutters onto card stock, but any paper would work.

Then the decorating began...


I was a little afraid of giving B glitter, especially in the house but he did really well and having a little tray made clean up easy.

Adding stickers...love the finger dexterity practice, he was so patient and persistent.

I guess we were having TO much fun, because even Daddy decided to join in the fun. I secretly think B thought this was the best part of making them. Daddy doesn't always get to join us for activities since he's working or traveling...it's nice when he can!

Some of our 'sprinkle' cookies.

A few of our sticker cookies.

Making fake cookies doesn't really satisfy the COOKIE need, so once we got all our ingredients,
 we had to make the real ones!

I meant to take some pictures of the actual 'making' of the cookies, but didn't really have clean hands to hold a camera. ;) So instead, here's B decorating them...I think he would have covered every inch with the sprinkles if I hadn't stopped him. He was having a blast making these cookies.

Some of his creations.

These aren't cookies, but are SO yummy and thanks to my SIL, Amy for sharing the idea. Super easy and perfect for a preschooler to help with, just watch out for warm pans & chocolate.

In case you are a big cookie fan or a big Sesame Street fan, then there's a book you have to read:
Biggest Cookie in the World: (Step into Reading Books Series: A Step 1 Book)
B LOVES this book, it's all about baking cookies. He can actually 'read' it, and by read I mean he's memorized it and can read it back to you...which happens quiet a lot. Once he learns a book, he wants to read it to us. While this one is not a Christmas book, it fits in perfect with all the baking, plus it shows where we get sugar, flour and other ingredients from so it opens up discussions on farming, plants and other changes food goes through to make an end product.


Happy Baking this Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment